The usual places to try food from Cusco are the traditional restaurants called chicherias and picanterias where you can eat typical dishes like:
- Kapchi: lima bean or mushroom soup with potatoes, milk, eggs, and cheese.
- Chicharrón con mote: pork rinds fried in their own fat, served with hominy or individual kernels of sweet corn.
- Humita: a sweet or salty tamale, served without sauce.
- Tamal: a sweet or salty tamale, served without sauce.
- Saralawa: soup of fresh corn, lima beans, dry aji Amarillo (yellow hot pepper), and huacatay (native herb).
- Chuño cola: beef soup with rice, garbanzo beans, and dehydrated potatoes.
- Adobo: pork marinated in chicha and spices and cooked in a clay pot.
- Olluco con carne: Olluco stew with jerky or llama meat